- Get the current odds to win the NFL’s 2020 Defensive Player of the Year award
- TJ Watt is back to being the odds-on favorite to win NFL DPOY after Week 16
- See how the DPOY odds have changed throughout the season
The AP has handed out a Defensive Player of the Year award every year since 1971. We’ve been tracking the 2020 NFL DPOY odds since they opened and will continue to do so all season. We average the odds from multiple sportsbooks and track the movement, removing the influence of money and providing you with each defender’s true odds of winning the award.
NFL DPOY Odds for Top Contenders
- [February 6, 2021] In a bit of a surprise, Aaron Donald has won NFL Defensive Player of the Year for the 2020 season. TJ Watt closed as the favorite.
- [December 29] TJ Watt added two more sacks in Week 16 against the Colts, bringing his season total a league-leading 15. As a result, Watt has become the odds-on favorite to win NFL DPOY over Aaron Donald and the rest of the field
- [December 15] Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald added another 1.5 sacks to take the league-lead at 12.5, surpassing TJ Watt, who had one of his worst games of the season against the Bills in Week 14. The result is Donald’s NFL DPOY odds improving from +188 to -143, while Watt, who was favored last week, fell from +166 to +340
- [December 9] Aaron Donald and TJ Watt’s NFL DPOY odds continue shortening, while Watt maintains a slim lead over the two-time recipient entering Week 14
- [December 3] A couple corners, Dolphins’ Xavien Howard and Patriots’ JC Jackson, have both made their first appearance on the odds board after Week 12, with Howard having the sixth-best odds
- [November 24] Despite missing Week 11 and already being ruled out for Week 12, Myles Garrett’s NFL DPOY odds have only faded from +388 to +450, still the third-best
- [November 17] A two-sack performance against the Bengals in Week 10 has resulted in TJ Watt becoming the favorite to win NFL DPOY; Aaron Donald and Myles Garrett trail close behind
- [November 10] Steelers’ defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt has entered the top five NFL DPOY contenders, as his odds improved from +5750 +1500
- [November 3] Aaron Donald is back to being the favorite to win NFL DPOY after adding another sack and forced fumble in Week 8; some sportsbooks favor TJ Watt, however
- [October 27] Myles Garrett has overtaken Aaron Donald as the favorite to win 2020 NFL DPOY after adding two more sacks and a forced fumble in Week 7; Garrett leads the NFL in both categories
- [October 20] Reigning NFL DPOY Stephon Gilmore continues seeing his 2020 odds fade, now just hanging in the top ten contenders
- [October 14] A four-sack performance against Washington in Week 5 has led to Aaron Donald taking back the title of NFL DPOY favorite
- [October 6] Za’Darius Smith’s three-sack performance in Week 4 has made him a top four contender to win NFL DPOY, with his odds improving from +3600 to +1500
- [September 29] For the first time this year, Aaron Donald is not favored to win NFL DPOY, as TJ Watt’s average odds improved from +1200 to +500 to take over the top spot on the board
- [September 22] Nick Bosa was tied for the second-best average DPOY odds before suffering what’s likely a season-ending knee injury in Week 2; Khalil Mack now sits behind Aaron Donald on the odds board
- [September 15] After recording a sack in Week 1, Joey Bosa has entered the top five DPOY contenders; Chase Young also saw significant DPOY odds movement after posting 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble in his NFL debut, moving from +4600 to +2900
- [September 9] A couple top ten DPOY contenders have gone down to injury in Von Miller and Derwin James; Chandler Jones and Jamal Adams have taken their place among the top ten in DPOY odds
- [August 21] Now a member of the Seahawks, Jamal Adams has seen his DPOY odds improve from +3300 to +2525, the 13th-best odds in the NFL
- [June 12] Myles Garrett has seen his DPOY odds shorten from +2625 to +2200, leaving him just outside of the top ten contenders
- [March 27] Although he didn’t win the award last season, Aaron Donald has opened as the favorite to win NFL DPOY for the second straight season
Odds to Win NFL DPOY
|Player||Pos||Team||Odds to win 2020 NFL DPOY|
*Odds updated December 29
Top Contenders by Position
Despite seeing so many edge players listed with short odds to win the award, only two true edge players have won DPOY in the last ten years: Khalil Mack (2016) and Terrell Suggs (2011).
DPOY Winners by Position
|Position||DPOY Awards in Last 10 Years||Total DPOY Awards Won|
Odds for Past Winners
JJ Watt and Aaron Donald have accounted for four of the last six Defensive Player of the Year winners, and five of the last eight. Terrell Suggs is the only active player to win DPOY and not have odds to win the 2020 award.
Last 5 DPOY Winners
|2018||Aaron Donald||DT||20.5 (1st)|
|2017||Aaron Donald||DT||11 (T-11th)|
|2016||Khalil Mack||EDGE||11 (T-8th)|
|2015||JJ Watt||DL||17.5 (1st)|
The idea that the Defensive Player of the Year is generally the league-leader in sacks is a common misconception. Sacks are certainly seen as a sexy stat and play a role in the voting. But the sack king has only won the award twice in the last seven seasons.
Shaquil Barrett led the NFL in 2019 with 19.5 sacks, Chandler Jones led the way with 17 in 2017, Vic Beasley Jr with 15.5 in 2016, and Justin Houston posted a league-high 22 in 2014, yet none of them took home DPOY honors.
Archived DPOY odds: 2019